The oldest part of the city of Porvoo, Old Porvoo, is located on the banks of the Porvoonjoki river. The city was founded in the 14th century and has been destroyed several times by fire. The oldest buildings in the city, Porvoo Cathedral and the belfry, date from the Middle Ages, the 15th century.
Most of the current buildings in old Porvoo were built after the fire in 1780-1820. The best know of them, besides the Cathedral, are the red storehouses made of logs by the river. Old Porvoo is on the list of National landscapes of Finland and on the list of Nationwide significant built cultural environments.
The area is characterized by large height differences and beautiful wooden buildings of different colors. The area is a popular tourist destination full of atmosphere, history, shops and services.